In March 2023, Mike Tyson opened his own coffeeshop in Amsterdam, not far from Dam square. In the Netherlands recreational use of marijuana is legal since 1976 although, since May 2023 it is not allowed to use marijuana on the streets, in Amsterdam.
Today, Mike’s coffeeshop received an official warning from the Mayor of Amsterdam. When the coffeeshop opened, people could win a meet-and-greet with Tyson, if they would spend at least 95 euro. In the Netherlands it is forbidden to encourage people to buy drugs. If the coffeeshop breaks the law again within the next three years, Mike’s coffeeshop will be closed by the mayor for at least a week.
You want to know about the Marijuana laws in Amsterdam? Here the rules that keep you out of trouble:
- Possession of drugs is punishable, but with a maximum of 5 grams of weed or hash the police will just take the drugs. You can give them up and you will not be prosecuted.
- If you have more soft drugs than the quantity for personal use (5 grams) you will be fined and risk a prison sentence.
- Minors are not allowed to have any drugs, the tolerance policy does not apply to them, so you must be 18 or over to buy drugs.
- Growing weed at home is illegal, however 5 plants or less you can give them up and you will generally not be prosecuted.
- Hard drugs are not allowed.
- Import and export of drugs is illegal.
- You cannot smoke in public. You can smoke weed only in Amsterdam coffeeshops.